Portrait tattoos are among the most high-impact, personal and sought-after tattoos of all, and they require artists specially skilled in their creation to get the great results you would want in a portrait. Here’s a few tips to get you going in the right direction
- Bring in multiple reference photos of the person or animal who you are getting tattooed on you. Different angles, shadows and details assist the artist in portraying the most accurate depiction of the person/animal.
- Find the highest resolution photo you can, the clearer the photo, the better tattoo.
- Portraits of kids being especially difficult because they don’t have a lot of lines in their faces. Having great photos to work from are especially important for these tattoos
- Dramatically lit photos always add to the emotion of the tattoo.
- “Less is more”. Allow the photo/tattoo to speak for itself. Don’t try and add names, dates, quotes etc. to spell out the message.
- Be aware that it takes longer to finish than a normal tattoo, there is a lot of detail that goes into it.
- Don’t be concerned with the image when the artist applies the stencil. The stencil highlights the shadows and fine details so it looks very abstract when it first goes on.
- Lastly, sit back and let the artist do his magic!
If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact our front desk staff at (617)254-0666. They can set up a one on one FREE consult with you and one of our experienced artists!
*tattoos by: Josh Torres